People frequently express their dissatisfaction with society’s problems. However, very few of them take action to resolve these problems. Suggest ways to encourage citizens to take action to solve societal problems.
Problems in society are those problems that concern a large number of people. Eg. Corruption, pollution, crimes against women, etc. However, it is often seen that most people only complain and very few of them actually come forward to solve these problems. These problems are considered the duty of public servants only and the people who get affected by them are neither eager nor able to help in solving these problems.
Some of the steps that can be taken to motivate citizens to take initiatives to solve problems in society are:
- Reduce gap: The first step should be to reduce the distance between government and citizens. People often fear they will get involved with the government and will be harassed to avoid coming forward to solve problems in society.
- Public forum: Conducting a public forum or listening session is a good way to let the public know that the Government does indeed care about their views and ideas, and can be useful in encouraging them to get further involved.
- Role models: There are hundreds of role models who can be shown to people and can inspire them. E.g. Sonam Wangchuk invented the Ice Stupa technique that creates artificial glaciers, used for storing winter water in the form of conical-shaped ice heap. Social activist Anna Hazare inspired thousands of youth to participate in the anti-corruption movement.
- Protection to the activist: People often do not come forward for help or avoid fighting malpractices in society due to fear of backlash and lack of protection. The protection given by the state can encourage people to help. E.g. Good Samaritan Law, Whistleblowers Protection Act.
- Recognition: Start initiatives that recognize good work by people, where even common people’s efforts to solve problems of society would be recognized and appreciated.
- Remove Sense of powerlessness: The complexity of politics intimidates citizens, preventing them from getting involved. The many levels of government make it difficult for anyone to know where to begin, whom to approach, and how to be influential. Awareness and education regarding these processes will help individuals gain the self-confidence to begin.
- Inviting people individually to participate: By inviting people individually, conveys the message that they aren’t just faceless numbers in part of a mass appeal. When people interact on a personal level, especially between friends or neighbors, involvement appears less intimidating and distant.
- Keep a positive attitude: Attitudes are contagious, so if one has a poor attitude toward solving the problems of society, the people one is trying to get involved with will pick up on that.
Motivating citizens to take initiatives to solve problems in society is very important as these are the people who know the problem most intimately, who deal with it a day today, and who will be able to make a more in-depth, meaningful, and personal contribution towards solving it. So changing the attitude of citizens to become more active is very important.
[Solved] “If a country is to be corruption free and become a nation of beautiful minds, I strongly feel there are three key societal members who can make a difference. They are father, the mother and the teacher.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. Analyse. (2017)